Squamish, BC

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Squamish, BC

Equivalent terms

Squamish, BC

Associated terms

Squamish, BC

48 Archival description results for Squamish, BC

48 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Ballast cars at Squamish

Photograph depicts ballast cars at Squamish, near government wharves and chemical plant. They were built by the Western Wheeled Scrapper Co. in Aurora, Illinois and do not have a date.

BC Rail snow plow

Photograph depicts a BCR snow plow on a spur located opposite a former Squamish depot that was burned down. All the windows of the snow equipment in front of the plow were broken by vandals, so there was spare service for winter operations.

BC Rail Squamish yards

Photograph depicts derelict bunk and cook cars of the former Pacific Great Eastern. Found on the siding of at the yards in Squamish. Car #990224 appears originally to have been an electric interurban car.

Logging, Newport, BC

Photograph depicts the unloading of logs from rail cars into the Mamquam River Blind Channel in Squamish (then Newport). The valley bottom around Squamish was logged from Mamquam River north to across the Cheakamus River before the construction of the Pacific Great Eastern Railway.

Pacific Great Eastern Railway Region Photograph Collection

  • 2020.08
  • Collection
  • [between 1905 and 1926]

This collection consists of photographs and "real photo" postcards that depict the construction and operation of the Pacific Great Eastern Railway line, communities nearby the railway line, and regional geography of areas adjacent to the PGE line.

Pacific Great Eastern Railway train at Squamish dock

Photograph depicts a Pacific Great Eastern Railway train on the original dock at Squamish (Newport); the vessel in the distance behind the warehouse is quite likely the "MV Ballena", the subject of photograph 2020.08.01.

The equipment shown in this photograph is: Locomotive 51 or 52, built by Montreal Locomotive Works in 1913; caboose C-1, built by National Steel Car, Hamilton, Ontario in 1914; baggage-mail car 51 or 52; passenger coach 2, 3 or 4; and an unknown flat car outfitted as a sightseeing car with canopy. The time-frame for the photograph is between June 8, 1915 (when baggage-mail cars 51 & 52 arrived at Newport Dock) and some time in 1918 (when caboose C-1 was re-numbered to 1801).

Additional information on baggage-mail cars 51 & 52 and coaches 2, 3 & 4:
Baggage and mail cars 51 and 52 were purchased from E.H. Wilson & Co. of Philadelphia at a total cost of $2806.74 each. They were received on line June 4, 1915 and were barged to Newport on June 8. These cars had a length of 64 ft. over buffers, an inside length of 60 ft. and an inside width of 9 ft. 2½ in. and rode on 6-wheel trucks. Although not confirmed, these cars are believed to be of Pennsylvania Railroad heritage with PRR Class MM baggage and mail cars being the most likely candidates. Certainly, all the other cars purchased from E.H. Wilson & Co. were ex-Pennsylvania and the gasoline lighting system with which these cars were delivered was used extensively by the PRR.

Coaches 2, 3, & 4 are former Pennsylvania Railroad Class “PK” closed vestibule coaches #s 3077, 3080, & 3092 which were received on June 10, 1914 after being purchased from E.H. Wilson & Co. for $3859.11, $3858.87 & $3858.87 respectively. They were built by the PRR in 1905, 3070 and 3088 at Altoona Car Shops and 3092 at the Wilmington, Delaware shops of subsidiary Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington. All had been assigned to P.B. & W. service. The Official Railway Equipment Register lists these cars as 62 ft. long with a capacity of 60 passengers.

PGE Squamish

Photograph taken from the depot in Squamish that runs a half a mile spur down to a dumping site beside the Squamish River. Image displays the log dump looking towards the east with the depot in the background, towards the right.