Quesnel, BC

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Quesnel, BC

Equivalent terms

Quesnel, BC

Associated terms

Quesnel, BC

74 Archival description results for Quesnel, BC

74 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Bird's eye view of Quesnel Quartz Mine Camp

Buildings have been numbered 1-8 with pen. Original handwritten annotations on verso of photograph are signed by Tom Marsh. Photograph is taped to paper. Typed annotation on recto of paper reads: “1. Bridge over creek. 2. Blacksmith shop. 3. Powerhouse. 4. Headframe over 200’ shaft. 5. Office 6. Water tanks from powerhouse. 7. Bunkhouse. 8. Truck. 9. Cookhouse behind #6 cannot be seen. We were always able to find the cookhouse even though hidden in this picture. Taken about 1935 by Russell Ross, supt. Quesnel Quarts Mine. Tom Marsh, Box 156, Squamish B. C.”

Bob Baxter with Eagle and Two Young Sons

Photograph depicts Bob standing to right of house, holding an eagle by the wings. A very young Alan stands beside him, and younger brother Fred in front. Short wood fence crosses midground, trees in background. Typed annotation on recto of photograph: "Quesnel B.C. 1936 Northern B.C. Eagle shot at Dragon Lake, B.C. 7 ft. 6 in spread. Mounted by Jack Lestin, Prince George,"

Bob Harkins interview with Tom Payne

Item consists of transcript and tape summary of interview with Tom Payne who discusses his life, emigration from England, service in World War I, and career as shoemaker in Quesnel. Also discusses his subsequent work at the Experimental Farm in Prince George

Bob Harkins

Bridget Moran & Mary John at Cariboo College

Photograph depicts Bridget Moran standing behind Mary John in unknown room. Unidentified woman semi-visible on far right (see item 2008.3.1.19.2). Accompanying photo caption: "Caribou College, Quesnel, March /92".

Carson Avenue, Quesnel, BC

Street view photograph looking down Carson Avenue at the Front St. intersection in Quesnel, BC. Several identified businesses line the gravel avenue on the right; however Cowan's Hardware store is visible at the intersection on the left. Printed annotation on recto reads: "Carson Ave., Quesnel, B.C. 1930 Looking East."

Cottonwood House

Image depicts the Cottonwood House Historic Site along Barkerville Highway, east of Quesnel, B.C. A sign posted by the fence reads: "For over half a century the Boyd family operated this haven for man and beast. Here weary travellers found lodging, food, and drink. Here fresh horses were hitched to stage-coaches and miners bought supplies. This historic road-house, built in 1864, stood as an oasis of civilization on the frontier of a rich new land."

Covered Wagons on Front Street, Quesnel

Photograph depicts men standing near three covered wagons pulled by team of horses on street. Buildings line the street on left behind trees with protective structures built around their trunks. A windmill stands near small building and woodpiles in background on right. Trees on hill are visible in distance. Handwritten annotation on recto of photograph: "Quesnel".

Dairy Farm - Barn Interior

Image depicts the interior of a barn at a dairy farm located somewhere near Quesnel, B.C. Numerous unknown individuals are present.

Dairy Farm - Interior

Image depicts numerous pieces of machinery in the interior of a building at a dairy farm, located somewhere near Quesnel, B.C. Several unknown individuals are present.

Farm

Image depicts a farm on the west side of the Fraser, south of Quesnel, B.C.

Front Street, Quesnel, BC

Street view photograph taken at the intersection of Front Street and Carson Avenue. Several men are gathered at Cowan's Hardware store on the corner. Also visible in this photograph is the Cariboo Hotel (visible furthest to the left), and the British American Hotel which is partially visible behind the J.A. Fraser store. Printed annotation on recto reads: "On Front Street, Quesnel, B.C."

Gordon Wyness Album

  • 2020.05
  • Collection
  • 1936

In 1936, Gordon Young Wyness was employed by Philip M. Monckton, a B.C. Land Surveyor. Between June 5 and October 8, Wyness joined Monckton and a group of others on a land survey expedition in northwestern BC. The survey crew travelled to various locations in the area including Telkwa, Hazelton, Burns Lake, Francoise Lake, Vanderhoof, Prince George, Quesnel, Lytton, and Hope. Wyness documented their journey in this photograph album. Based on the photographs, it appears that the crew led by Philip Monckton consisted of Jack Lee and Gordon Wyness; Mrs. Lavender Monckton (nee O'Hara) also accompanied the group.

In addition to the 50 photographs included in the album, this collection also includes five additional unique photographs that accompanied the album.

Wyness, Gordon Young

Gordon Wyness by heritage artefacts and cairn in Quesnel

Photograph depicts Gordon Wyness sitting on a historic boat, which he described as built ca. 1860 and could carry "7 Indians" and 5000 lbs of freight up the river. Located nearby is a telegraph cairn erected to commemorate the Collins Overland Telegraph lines that began in Quesnel in 1865. Until 1907, Quesnel was the terminus for the telegraph line. Behind Wyness is a replica of a Cornish water wheel that was originally located at Williams Creek in Barkerville. This location is now called Ceal Tingley Memorial Park-Heritage Corner and is located along Front Street in Quesnel, near the Fraser River Bridge. The cairn and water wheel still stand in this location, however the boat was removed around 1941.

According to additional information from Quesnel & District Museum & Archives, Wyness may have been provided with inaccurate information about the canoe depicted. The canoe believed to have been located at that spot was actually created in 1905 to pack out the Grand Trunk Preliminary Survey Team, which was led by J.M. Rolston.

Holts Ranch

Photograph depicts a cluster of log buildings with fences and corrals. A field in the foreground, trees and low hills in the distance. On the road from Quesnell to Fraser Lake 1911.

James Joseph Claxton Photograph Collection

  • 2007.17
  • Collection
  • 1920 - 1982

Collection consists of 140 photographs pertaining to the life and pursuits of James Joseph Claxton over the course of sixty years. Subject areas identified within this collection include: quartz and placer mining in the Cariboo; Kingcome Village; the Royal Irish Contabulary; Roderick's Jewelers, New Westminster; the "M.S. Columbia III"; Kwakiutl petrographs in Fort Rupert; totem poles at Alert Bay; and the Salmon Arm Boy Scouts of Canada group.

Claxton, James Joseph

Leaving Quesnel for Fort Fraser

Typed caption glued to album page directly below photograph reads: "39. Leaving Quesnel for Fort Fraser." Photograph depicts an automobile parked in front of a hotel with a sign on its back end that reads: "From Vancouver to Fort Fraser". Photographer: Dominion Stock & Bond Corporation.

Mining in the Cariboo

This file consists of 10 photographs pertaining to the Hixon Creek Cariboo Gold Company, and the Quesnel Quartz Mine; as well as two sheets of letterhead from the "Hixon Gold Recovery Ltd." a handwritten speech re: a mineral claim, and a hand drawn map and overlay pertaining to the Wellington and Highland (Belle or Lass) mineral claims.

Occidental Hotel on Front Street, Quesnel

Photograph depicts four men standing under balcony of hotel near other buildings on street. Trees line the street, with protective structures built around their trunks. It is speculated that one of these men may be Mr. A. K. Bourchier. Handwritten annotation on recto of photograph: "As you were".

PGE Quesnel

Photograph location is unknown, but Davies stated it to be possibly somewhere north of Quesnel. A bridge is visible.

PGE Quesnel

Photograph depicts a down freight of 75 cars passing under the Quesnel to Barkerville road about 4 miles out of Quesnel.

Results 1 to 50 of 74