New Westminster, BC

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

New Westminster, BC

Equivalent terms

New Westminster, BC

Associated terms

New Westminster, BC

70 Archival description results for New Westminster, BC

70 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

"Atlas Captain" boom tug

Photograph depicts a boom tug called "Atlas Captain" that was brought in for refitting, adjacent to a smalll boat repair yard. It was loaded on a CN gondola car and then removed by a derrick crane.

"Dunrobin" locomotive and saloon coach

Photograph depicts a British locomotive, the "Dunrobin," as well as a saloon coach found at a BCER locomotive shed. It was emerging for a second trial run to Steveston. It just underwent a complete overhaul in 1966 after being being purchased by the provincial government of British Columbia.

"Dunrobin" locomotive and saloon coach

Photograph depicts a British locomitive, the "Dunrobin," and saloon coach having just emerged from a BCER locomotive shed in New Westminster. Mr. Swanson, a B.C. chief mechanical engineer, is visibled leaning out of the coach's window.

"Dunrobin" locomotive and saloon coach

Photograph depicts a British locomotive, the "Dunrobin," as well as a saloon coach found at a BCER locomotive shed. It was emerging for a second trial run to Steveston. It just underwent a complete overhaul in 1966 after being being purchased by the provincial government of British Columbia.

"Dunrobin" locomotive and saloon coach

Photograph depicts a British locomotive, the "Dunrobin" and saloon coach that had just been given the clearance for the run to Marpole and then to Steveston. Visible is BCER track in New Westminster beside the Rayonier lumber mill that was since destroyed by fire in 1966.

"Dunrobin" locomotive and saloon coach

Photograph depicts a British locomotive, the "Dunrobin," and a saloon coach. The locomotive was on a test run between New Westminster and Steveston on BCER track beside the Rayonier lumber mill that had since been consumed by a fire. As part of its recent overhaul, automatic couplings were fitted in the front of the locomotive and at the rear of the coach. A bell was also placed under the main frame and lamps as well as a generator were added.

"Dunrobin" locomotive and saloon coach

Photograph depicts a British locomotive, the "Dunrobin" and a saloon coach on a test run at the BCER track between New Westminster and Steveston. It had just underwent an overhaul. Rear view of the coach is on BCER track between New Westminster and Marpole.

"Dunrobin" locomotive and saloon coach

Photograph depicts a British locomotive, the "Dunrobin," and a saloon coach. The locomotive was about to start a roundtrip to Steveston via Marpole on the BCER track in order to test steaming, bearings, running time, and water consumption. It was its second steaming as it had underwent an overhaul in 1966 not since done until 1940's in the U.K.

"Dunrobin" locomotive and saloon coach

Photograph depicts a British locomotive, the "Dunrobin" and a saloon coach on a test run at the BCER track between New Westminster and Marpole. The train was forced to stop because of working going on along the line 200 yards behind the camera.

"Dunrobin" locomotive and saloon coach

Photograph depicts a British locomotive, the "Dunrobin, " and a saloon coach on BCER track in New Westminster. It was on its second steaming trial since the 1940's after it had underwent a complete overhaul at the BCER locomotive shed in New Westmintster in 1966. "Dunbrobin" en route to Steveston via Marpole.

0-4-4 "Dunrobin" locomotive built by Sharp, Stewart, & Co. Ltd. In 1895

Photograph depicts the 0-4-4 "Dunrobin" locomotive in the B.C. Electric Railway locomotive shed in New Westminster. The front buffer beam has been removed, exposing 2 inside cylinders 13x18". Total weight = 25 1/4 tons. Working pressure = 150 lb./sq. inch. Coupled wheels= 4'6" diameter, bogie wheels = 2'6". It was built by Sharp, Stewart, & Co. Ltd. in 1895 at Atlas Works, Glasgow and formerly owned by the Duke of Sutherland. It was steamed for the first time in B.C. on Tuesday, 19th April 1966, and probably for the first time in 2 years.

0-4-4 "Dunrobin" locomotive built by Sharp, Stewart, & Co. Ltd. In 1895

Photograph depicts a 0-4-4 "Dunrobin" locomotive built by Sharp, Stewart, & Co. Ltd. in 1895 at Atlas Works, Glasgow and formerly owned by the Duke of Sutherland. It was taken inside the B.C. Electric Railway locomotive shed at New Westminster where it was receiving a check-over for steam running and a paint job. The cover to steam dome has been removed.

BC Hydro Railway New Westminster

Photograph depicts a cross over. Track on the left to right are owned by the BC Hydro Railway, with the tracks on the right going to the Queensborough rail bridge. The tracks receding into the background are believed to be owned by the CPR.

BCER New Westminster

Photograph depicts former BC Electric car barns in New Westminster. In the foreground remained an old flat and possibly a hoist for battery plates.

BCER New Westminster

Photograph depicts a fitter examing the condition and safety of an old steam crane en route to an iron works in Burnaby, possibly Coast Steel Fabricator Ltd.

CP rail in New Westminster

Photograph depicts CP rail interchange yards about 1/2 mile west of the city center of New Westminster. In the view is CP baggage car #272046 made by the Canadian Car Co. It is now in use as a horse box with end loading.

CPR caboose in New Westminster

Photograph depicts a CPR caboose #436917 in New Westminster. It is all wood and was built in 1928. It was lettered "Rubbish service between New Westminster and Coquitlam." A crewman said it was quiet running compared to modern all metal ones.

Federal government paddle steam sternwheeler "Samson V"

Photograph depicts the federal government paddle steam sternwheeler "Samson V" at New Westminster. It is used daily on the Fraser River to lift and move buoys etc. It was built in 1937 at New Westminster. It operates between the mouth of the Fraser and Mission. Its crew of 10 is made up of a captain, mate, bosun, two deckhands, cook, steward, chief engineer, greaser, and engineer. It is kept in excellent shape, inside and out.

James Joseph Claxton Photograph Collection

  • 2007.17
  • Collection
  • 1920 - 1982

Collection consists of 140 photographs pertaining to the life and pursuits of James Joseph Claxton over the course of sixty years. Subject areas identified within this collection include: quartz and placer mining in the Cariboo; Kingcome Village; the Royal Irish Contabulary; Roderick's Jewelers, New Westminster; the "M.S. Columbia III"; Kwakiutl petrographs in Fort Rupert; totem poles at Alert Bay; and the Salmon Arm Boy Scouts of Canada group.

Claxton, James Joseph

Miscellaneous Constabulary Photographs

This file consists of 79 photographs, various postcards and Christmas cards from the Royal Irish Constabulary; “Old Hand remembers early days” (unidentified newspaper article re: Burnaby detachment of BC Provincial Police); and a magazine clipping featuring a group photo of “Officers of the B.C. Police, April 1930.” General subjects areas identified in the photographs include: Toc H (Kelowna); the Royal Irish Constabulary; the British Columbia Provincial Police; the Royal Canadian Mounted Police; 1945 liberation parade in Amsterdam, Holland; various historical regimental artworks; badges, helmets, ornaments, banners and related constabulary ephemera; and Claxton in his New Westminster store "Roderick Jewelers" with his extensive collection of constabulary related materials.

Results 1 to 50 of 70