Collection 2019.10 - Lockwood Survey Corporation Ltd. collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Lockwood Survey Corporation Ltd. collection

General material designation

  • Cartographic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code


Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1968-1970 (Creation)
    Lockwood Survey Corporation Ltd.

Physical description area

Physical description

1041 remote-sensing images : b&w ; 22.5 x 22.5 cm

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

The Lockwood Survey Corporation Ltd. was an aerial photographic survey company based in the Toronto, Ontario area with divisions across Canada, the west coast division being located at 1409 West Pender Street, Vancouver, BC.

It was formed out of a number of amalgamations, mergers and name changes of predecessor companies, beginning with the Toronto-based Photographic Survey Company, which began in 1946 under the direction of Douglas M. Kendall, with British financing from Sir Percy Hunting. From 1956-1965, the company was known as Hunting Survey Corporation, Ltd., later known as Lockwood Survey Corporation, Ltd. from 1965-1972. From 1972-1975 the company was called Northway Survey Corporation, Ltd., and then Northway- Gestalt Corporation Ltd. from 1975-1984. The company has been named Northway Map Technology Ltd. since 1985.

Scope and content

These historically important aerial photographs depict Williston Lake soon after its creation in 1968 with the building of the W.A.C. Bennett Dam on the Peace River. Also depicted are the rivers and tributaries that empty into the Williston Reservoir, such as the Finlay River, the Ospika River, and the Omineca River.

These remote-sensing aerial photographs were taken by Lockwood Survey Corporation Ltd. under contract for the B.C. Forest Service. Some photographs are annotated to show logging activity; clearcuts, slash piles, log booms, and tree debris on the water are also visible in some of the images. No detailed location information or index accompanies the photographs.

Notes area


Original order.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

    Location of originals

    Availability of other formats

    These air photographs have not been digitized, with the exception of the representative examples provided in 2019.10.4.

    Restrictions on access

    No restrictions.

    Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

    Personal or academic use of materials is welcomed under the standard fair dealing and educational use clauses of Canadian Copyright Law. Commercial use is, however, forbidden without the express permission of the copyright holder.

    Finding aids

    Associated materials

    Other regional aerial photographs taken by Lockwood Survey Corporation are available at the Geographic Information Centre at the University of British Columbia.

    Related materials


    Alternative identifier(s)

    Standard number

    Standard number

    Access points

    Subject access points

    Name access points

    Genre access points

    Control area


    Accession area