Stuk 2020.05.44 - Gordon Wyness by heritage artefacts and cairn in Quesnel

Open original Digitaal object

Title and statement of responsibility area

Titel

Gordon Wyness by heritage artefacts and cairn in Quesnel

Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal

  • Graphic material

Parallelle titel

Overige titelinformatie

Title statements of responsibility

Titel aantekeningen

  • Variations in title: Transcribed note on photograph verso: Quesnel - Boat built near 1860 carrying 7 Indians + 5000# freight up the river. Old waterwheel.
  • Source of title proper: Title based on information provided in on photograph verso.
  • Variations in title: Original title provided in album: Canoe - 1860 - 5000# + 7 Indians - water wheel.

Beschrijvingsniveau

Stuk

referentie code

2020.05.44

Editie

Editie

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Datering archiefvorming

Datum(s)

  • 1936 (Vervaardig)

Fysieke beschrijving

Fysieke beschrijving

1 photograph : b&w

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archivistische beschrijving

Naam van de archiefvormer

(September 16, 1912 - July 7, 2004)

Bereik en inhoud

Photograph depicts Gordon Wyness sitting on a historic boat, which he described as built ca. 1860 and could carry "7 Indians" and 5000 lbs of freight up the river. Located nearby is a telegraph cairn erected to commemorate the Collins Overland Telegraph lines that began in Quesnel in 1865. Until 1907, Quesnel was the terminus for the telegraph line. Behind Wyness is a replica of a Cornish water wheel that was originally located at Williams Creek in Barkerville. This location is now called Ceal Tingley Memorial Park-Heritage Corner and is located along Front Street in Quesnel, near the Fraser River Bridge. The cairn and water wheel still stand in this location, however the boat was removed around 1941.

According to additional information from Quesnel & District Museum & Archives, Wyness may have been provided with inaccurate information about the canoe depicted. The canoe believed to have been located at that spot was actually created in 1905 to pack out the Grand Trunk Preliminary Survey Team, which was led by J.M. Rolston.

Aantekeningen

Ordening

Taal van het materiaal

  • Engels

Schrift van het materiaal

Plaats van originelen

Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten

Photograph has been digitized and is available in TIFF and JPEG format. The online access image has been edited for improved clarity. Both the edited master and the original master digital reproductions are available via a Northern BC Archives reproduction service request.

Restrictions on access

No restrictions.

Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.

Personal or academic use of materials is welcomed under the standard fair use and educational use clauses of Canadian Copyright Law. Commercial use is, however, forbidden without the express permission of the copyright holder. For information on obtaining written permission from the copyright holder, please contact the Northern B.C. Archives and Special Collections.

Toegangen

Associated materials

Related materials

Aanvullingen

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standaard nummer

Trefwoorden

Onderwerp trefwoord

Geografische trefwoorden

Naam ontsluitingsterm

Genre access points

Beheer

Digitaal object (Master) rights area

Digitaal object (Referentie) rights area

Digitaal object (Thumbnail) rights area

Voorwaarden voor raadpleging en gebruik

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres