Title and statement of responsibility area
Underground Mine Structural Inspection, Rock Mechanics Dept. Foto Documentation
General material designation
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Parallel titles and other title information: Title based on subject of file and accompanying materials.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
November 1990 - June 1991 (Creation)
Physical description area
361 photographs : col. ; 10.1 x 15.1 cm - 12 negative strips : col. ; 35 mm
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Scope and content
File contains images depicting the underground mine at Cassiar, showing structural damages, repaired damage ground support, and mining and repair processes.
The file contains a photo inventory entitled “Underground Mine Structural Inspection, Rock Mechanics Dept. Foto Documentation” with a complete file inventory linking the picture number to a location, title, and dated film. This photographic documentation was assembled for the purposes of liaising with a underground mining consultant located in South Africa.
- Images document structural ground support including steel cables, support arches, metal mesh, shotcrete, rockbolts, wooden beams.
- Images show ground support damaged through ground movement, but some depict newly installed or repaired support.
- Images depict ventilation ducting that was crushed or torn.
- Mining processes depicted include miners installing a rock breaker, miners paving the adit floor with concrete, miners inspecting a damaged section of mine, miner loading drill or blastholes with ANFO (ammonium nitrate / fuel oil mixture) explosives, and long hole drilling.
- Technical elements of the underground mine depicted include a mining device and ore in a chute (annotated ‘1290 crusher’), the conveyor, ‘LH drill’, ore processing machine annotated ‘1350 breaker’, and an electrical box titled ‘Weighometer’.
- Specific locations shown include ore draw points, ore passes, access drifts, a hatch and door titled “Fuel station 1415”, and a dead end drift with a stack of equipment and an orange cable annotated “1335 access electrical stations”.
Arranged according to original photo inventory.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Northern BC Archives & Special Collections
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Personal or academic use of photographic materials is welcomed under the standard fair use and educational use clauses of Canadian Copyright Law. Commercial use is, however, forbidden without the express permission of the copyright holder. For information on obtaining written permission from the copyright holder, please contact the Northern B.C. Archives and Special Collections.
Contact archivist for detailed file inventory.
Generated finding aid
Item is part of the Cassiar Asbestos Corporation Ltd. fonds. Contact archivist to obtain interview notes from interviews conducted with mining experts on the subject contained in this file.
Original accession no: These photos were found in "Engineering Box", folders E, F, G, and H.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
- Cassiar Asbestos Corporation Ltd. (Subject)