Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
265 photographs (252 prints : col. ; 10.1 x 15.1 cm and smaller - 13 negatives : col. ; 35 mm)
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Scope and content
This file contains various aspects of the underground mine.
- Photos depicting damage to the underground mine such as fallen rocks, cracked shotcrete, twisted rock bolts and metal mesh, exposed and damaged steel structural frames, and repairs underway.
- Steel cables, chains, support arches, and custom welded rebar frames used in the structural reinforcement of the underground mine.
- Several engineering tests related to the structural damages are depicted.
- Two sets of images show a Porta Power hydraulic tool with a ready rod attached, a hand pump, as well as images of a technician testing the holding power of a rock bolt.
- Set of images documents a technician drilling cores and installing extensometer anchors, as well as grouting the anchors and connecting an extensometer. Technicians are shown inspecting damages with a ruler and rockhammer for scale.
- A set of images showcase the threaded rebar, nuts, and face plates used for rockbolts.
- Utility vehicles, yellow vent ducting, and utility pipes are visible in several images.
- Also include is an image of a man in office space, foggy night scene with a telephone pole, office desk, stack of supplies including concrete, steel cable, and spray paint, and several images of a broken piece of ore and concrete outside the mine portal.
- Several images depict miners working in the bucket of a scoop tram.
- Photos of the stramler feeder breakers, which was used in the underground mine.
- Images of ground support verifications where the deficiency of the exhaust ramp was investigated. This collection has various annotations explaining the broken shotcrete and the wire mesh installed.
- A collection of photographs depicting tunnel shotcrete failures. Each photograph has an accompanied textual annotation.
- Photos of MMD #750 Sizer equipment - assumed used in Underground Mine.
- Photos of pump used in 1335 level, wheel fan for ventilation removed from 1350 level,
- A collection of ground fall event 29 March 1989 - with annotations depicting damage
Arrangement imposed by archivist, original groupings maintained.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Northern BC Archives & Special Collections
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Personal or academic use of photographic materials is welcomed under the standard fair use and educational use clauses of Canadian Copyright Law. Commercial use is, however, forbidden without the express permission of the copyright holder. For information on obtaining written permission from the copyright holder, please contact the Northern B.C. Archives and Special Collections.
Contact archivist for complete file inventory.
Generated finding aid
Item is part of the Cassiar Asbestos Corporation Ltd. fonds. Contact archivist to obtain interview notes from interviews conducted with mining experts on the subject contained in this file.
- See Underground Mine Structural Inspection File 2000.1.1.3.10 for a more complete photo documentation of structural damages.
- See also Superintendent's Office 1988 File 2000.1.1.3.8 for more images depicting underground mining at Cassiar, B.C.
- See Accidents and Incidents File 2000.1.1.3.1 for images of more ground failings
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
- Cassiar Asbestos Corporation Ltd. (Subject)