Mostrar 49408 resultados

Archival description
Inglês
Previsualizar a impressão Hierarchy Ver:

20780 resultados com objetos digitais Mostrar resultados com objetos digitais

Group portrait at Francois Lake

Photograph depicts a group of people leaning up against the survey crew's Buick car in Francois Lake. Based on the transcription on the photograph verso, from left to right the individuals are: "Mrs. Hunter", "Bobby", Jack Lee, "Edna", "Verna", "Banker's wife", and Gordon Wyness.

Jack Lee and Philip Monckton at Burns Lake cabin

Photograph depicts (from left) Jack Lee and Philip Monckton leaning up against their 1930 Buick Series 40 car before leaving for Southbank Francois Lake. Behind them is the cabin they stayed in at Burns Lake, which was owned by Ben[?] Smith.

View of Burns Lake

Photograph depicts a view of Burns Lake, as seen from the survey crew's temporary lodgings at the cabin of Ben[?] Smith. Wyness notes in the photograph transcription that float planes landed in the bay below the buildings visible in this image.

Jack Lee and Gordon Wyness with survey equipment on reserve

Photograph depicts (from left) Jack Lee and Gordon Wyness sitting on a car next to their equipment while surveying at an Indian Reserve. A cabin on the reserve is also depicted. According to the transcription on the photograph verso, they were surveying road through an "Indian Reserve South of South bank François Lake".

François Lake Ferry

Photograph depicts the Francois Lake Ferry. Gordon Wyness stands next to the survey crew's Buick car in the middle of the boat. Jack Lee leans on the railing at the back of the boat.

François Lake from ferry

Photograph depicts a view of François Lake taken from the ferry going to Northbank Point on right-hand side. The survey crew camped there in June 1936.

Chasm

Photograph depicts "The Chasm" or "The Painted Chasm", located 11 miles north of Clinton, adjacent to the route of the Cariboo Road. In 1940, four years after this photograph was taken, Chasm Provincial Park was created in 1940 to preserve and promote the Painted Chasm feature, a gorge created from melting glacial waters eroding a lava plateau over a 10 million year span.

Chasm, BC

Photograph depicts "The Chasm" or "The Painted Chasm", located 11 miles north of Clinton, adjacent to the route of the Cariboo Road. In 1940, four years after this photograph was taken, Chasm Provincial Park was created in 1940 to preserve and promote the Painted Chasm feature, a gorge created from melting glacial waters eroding a lava plateau over a 10 million year span.

Gordon Wyness by heritage artefacts and cairn in Quesnel

Photograph depicts Gordon Wyness sitting on a historic boat, which he described as built ca. 1860 and could carry "7 Indians" and 5000 lbs of freight up the river. Located nearby is a telegraph cairn erected to commemorate the Collins Overland Telegraph lines that began in Quesnel in 1865. Until 1907, Quesnel was the terminus for the telegraph line. Behind Wyness is a replica of a Cornish water wheel that was originally located at Williams Creek in Barkerville. This location is now called Ceal Tingley Memorial Park-Heritage Corner and is located along Front Street in Quesnel, near the Fraser River Bridge. The cairn and water wheel still stand in this location, however the boat was removed around 1941.

According to additional information from Quesnel & District Museum & Archives, Wyness may have been provided with inaccurate information about the canoe depicted. The canoe believed to have been located at that spot was actually created in 1905 to pack out the Grand Trunk Preliminary Survey Team, which was led by J.M. Rolston.

Jack Lee and Gordon Wyness drinking by a lake in Marble Canyon

Photograph depicts Jack Lee (front) and Gordon Wyness drinking lakeside in Marble Canyon. The survey crew had been travelling along Marble Canyon Road, which is now Highway 99. The lakes in Marble Canyon are now named Turquoise Lake, Crown Lake, and Pavilion Lake. Wyness notes the blueness of these lakes and the white mountains of this area.

Town of Clinton

Photograph depicts the town of Clinton. Wyness noted on the photograph verso that the survey crew had dinner here on their return trip in October 1936. In addition, the album caption notes that Clinton was the location of British Columbia's oldest hotel.

Campsite at Sheraton

Photograph depicts (from left to right) Gordon Wyness and Jack Lee at their campsite at Sheraton. This location may reference the small community east of Burns Lake on the Canadian National Railway line. Wyness notes that "Sherton" [Sheraton?] Mountain is visible in the background of the photograph; the current name of that geographical feature could not be determined. The survey crew's car and tent are also visible in the image.

View of Prince George from east hill

Photograph depicts a view of the city of Prince George looking west from the east hill. The confluence of the Fraser River and Nechako River is visible to the right. The Grand Trunk Pacific Railway bridge is visible at centre. The current location of where this photograph may have been taken is likely somewhere near where Highway 16 rises on the hill past the correctional centre (jail).

Jack Lee, Gordon Wyness, and Lavender Monckton in front of wooden moose in Prince George

Photograph depicts (from left to right) Jack Lee, Gordon Wyness, and Lavender Monckton standing in front of a wooden moose. The wooden moose was located on top of a hill to the east of Prince George. The wooden moose was an advertisement for John A. Lestin's taxidermy business on Third Avenue in Prince George.

Lone Butte, BC

Photograph depicts a view of Lone Butte, BC. The butte formation of the same name (Lone Butte) is visible in the background; a ranch or residence is visible in the foreground. Wyness notes that Lone Butte was the "last one [they] tied in". "Tying in" is a land surveying technique. Since the photograph is dated October 1936 and Wyness described the survey trip as lasting June 5 - October 8, 1936, that implies that Lone Butte was the last location they surveyed on this trip.

Bridges at Telkwa River

Photograph depicts two bridges crossing the Telkwa River. Wyness notes (on photograph verso) that this is where their survey crew traversed the river; he also noted erosion in the area.

Jack Lee rafting on Bobtail Lake

Photograph depicts Jack Lee rafting with a sail on Bobtail Lake, as he was going over to other side of the lake to locate traverse posts (without success, according to the annotation on the photograph verso).

Gordon Wyness and Jack Lee at Bobtail campsite near Vanderhoof

Photograph depicts (from left to right) Gordon Wyness and Jack Lee at a camp scene "at Bobtail" (possibly Bobtail Lake) near Vanderhoof. As noted in the album caption, the crew had "just returned from Vanderhoof". The telegraph cabin roof and their 1930 Buick Series 40 car is visible at right.

Jack Lee, Philip Monckton, Jessie McInnes, and Archie McInnes at Pioneer Ranch

Photograph depicts (from left to right) Jack Lee, Philip Monckton, Jessie McInnes, and Archie McInnes at Pioneer Ranch.

In 1903, brothers Neil and Archie McInnes pre-empted a section of land two miles east of Cote Flat, each taking half. Archie McInnes' land later became known as Pioneer Ranch (later known as the Barnett Ranch); Neil McInnes' land became Meadowbrook Ranch. Archie McInnes married Jessie Aitken in October 1905. Pioneer Ranch became known as a stop-over for travellers en route from Hazelton to the Ootsa Lake area via the Telegraph Trail. Archie and Jessie McInnes had three daughters: Vera (m. Ivan Frank), Ivy (m. Eric Strimbold), and Neva (m. John Ivan Nickolichuk).

Jack Lee, Gordon Wyness, Jessie McInnes, and Archie McInnes at Pioneer Ranch

Photograph depicts (from left to right) Jack Lee, Gordon Wyness, Jessie McInnes, and Archie McInnes at Pioneer Ranch.

In 1903, brothers Neil and Archie McInnes pre-empted a section of land two miles east of Cote Flat, each taking half. Archie McInnes' land later became known as Pioneer Ranch (later known as the Barnett Ranch); Neil McInnes' land became Meadowbrook Ranch. Archie McInnes married Jessie Aitken in October 1905. Pioneer Ranch became known as a stop-over for travellers en route from Hazelton to the Ootsa Lake area via the Telegraph Trail. Archie and Jessie McInnes had three daughters: Vera (m. Ivan Frank), Ivy (m. Eric Strimbold), and Neva (m. John Ivan Nickolichuk).

Gordon Wyness and Jack Lee at Fort St. James sign

Photograph depicts (from left to right) Gordon Wyness and Jack Lee in front of the Fort St. James sign, which reads "First white settlement in British Columbia. Established by the North West Company in 1806 by Simon Fraser and John Stuart and taken over by the Hudson's Bay Company in 1821. - General Merchandise Visitors Welcome".

Gordon Wyness, Philip Monckton, and Lavender Monckton by car

Photograph depicts (from left to right) Gordon Wyness, Philip Monckton, and Lavender Monckton by their 1930 Buick Series 40 car in the Williams Lake area. In this image, the car may be broken down; Wyness noted that they "were forced to spend the nite in a school house due to condenser burning out in the car". Wyness also noted that they had "just finished tying in Fraser Mtn", suggesting that they had just completed survey work in the Fraser Mountain area.

View of Fraser River from Fraser Mountain

Photograph depicts a view of the Fraser River from what Wyness calls "Fraser Mountain". There are a number of places named "Mount Fraser" in British Columbia, but the exact location of where this photograph was taken is unclear.

Looking SW from Mt. Begbie on the Cariboo Highway

Photograph depicts Mount Begbie, noted by Wyness to be the highest point on the Cariboo Highway at mile 85. Mount Begbie is located at approximately 51°28'33''N, 121°22'00''W, on the east side of Cariboo Hwy, between 70 Mile House and 100 Mile House, in the Lillooet Land District. Also visible in this photograph is the Cariboo Highway road.

Looking SE from Mt. Begbie on the Cariboo Highway

Photograph depicts Mount Begbie, noted by Wyness to be the highest point on the Cariboo Highway at mile 85. Mount Begbie is located at approximately 51°28'33''N, 121°22'00''W, on the east side of Cariboo Hwy, between 70 Mile House and 100 Mile House, in the Lillooet Land District. Also visible in this photograph is the Cariboo Highway road.

Resultados 1 a 50 de 49408