Affichage de 20875 résultats

Archival description
Avec objets numériques
Aperçu avant impression Hierarchy Affichage :

Steamer Orion Pacific Whaling Co. Ltd. Victoria BC

Item is a photo postcard of a painting by C.R. Patterson. This painting can be seen on p. 361 in an article titled "The Quest for the Cetacean" written by C. R. Patterson and published in The Pacific Monthly: A Magazine of Education and Progress (Vol. XX, July-Dec. 1908).

C.P.R. buildings at Shawnigan Lake

Photograph depicts CPR buildings near Shawnigan Lake depot on Vancouver Island. The buildings in the centre are a section house (left) and a speeder or tool shed (right). They sit inside a wye track. Spur on the left is all that is left of "Y" turning center. The view is looking south. The Shawnigan Lake station (not depicted) is located at mile post 27.8 approximately 1/2 mile to the railway south of these buildings which are to the south of the photographer.

Service car at Nanaimo depot

Photograph depicts the service car of the Esquimalt and Nanaimo Railway in front of the E & N freight shed. The Nanaimo passenger depot (not depicted) is located behind the photographer.

Crossover of Comox Logging & Railway Company, Esquimalt & Nanaimo Railway, and MacMillan Bloedel & Powell River Logging Railway tracks

Photograph depicts a railway track crossover. The Comox Logging & Railway Co. tracks (left to right) cross the Esquimalt & Nanaimo tracks (bottom to top). The MacMillan Bloedel & Powell River Logging Railway tracks join the Esquimalt & Nanaimo Railway just above the crossing. The Velco Tower appears to the right of the crossing. This crossing is one mile north of Ladysmith, with the view looking north to Nanaimo.

Close-up of supply laden canoes next to Pete Toy's bar

Photograph depicts the supply laden canoes of the Bedaux expedition at Pete Toy's bar, taken during the Bedeaux Canadian Sub-Arctic Expedition in the summer of 1934. This photograph was originally attributed to a location on the Peace River; however, this is likely incorrect. If this photograph does depict Pete Toy's bar, the location of the photograph is actually the Finlay River. Annotated on the back of this print is the code "I-57382" which denotes the same photograph in the collection of the BC Archives.

Men standing in supply laden canoes next to Pete Toy's bar

Photograph depicts the supply laden canoes of the Bedaux expedition at Pete Toy's bar, taken during the Bedeaux Canadian Sub-Arctic Expedition in the summer of 1934. This photograph was originally attributed to a location on the Peace River; however, this is likely incorrect. If this photograph does depict Pete Toy's bar, the location of the photograph is actually the Finlay River. Annotated on the back of this print is the code "B-04443" which denotes the same photograph in the collection of the BC Archives.

Supply laden canoes next to Pete Toy's bar

Photograph depicts the supply laden canoes of the Bedaux expedition at Pete Toy's bar, taken during the Bedeaux Canadian Sub-Arctic Expedition in the summer of 1934. Original annotation on photograph recto: "River boats on the Peace River". However, this annotation is likely incorrect; if this photograph does depict Pete Toy's bar, the location of the photograph is actually the Finlay River. There may be an error in the original annotation. Also annotated on the back of this print is the code "B-04444" which denotes the same photograph in the collection of the BC Archives.

Spur leading to stockyard at Campbell Creek, Kamloops

The building of this spur in 1977 was a late and short lived attempt to move yearling cattle to Ontario for fattening by rail. The Last stock train ran in 1985. The CN rail track was still in use in August 1998. This photograph shows the spur running east and down grade to a stockyard owned by BC Interior Cattlemen's Association. Additional information is available in article, "Moving Livestock by Rail: An inquiry into an extinct traffic" in The Sandhouse journal, Issue 121, Spring 2006.

Case traction engine at Three Valley Gap Motel

Photograph depicts a case traction engine that was built in 1915 located at Three Valley Gap Motel, some 15 miles west of Revelstoke. It is steamed for a few days each year and was used continuously to 1959 by Mr. Dale of Saskatchewan.

3-truck Shay locomotive #114 in North Vancouver

Photograph depicts 3-truck Shay locomotive #114 at the Vancouver Wharves Ltd. in North Vancouver. It was built in July 1928 as #3320. The ability of geared locomotives to exert maximum traction at low speeds was an asset when moving loaded grain cars to dockside elevators. The shay did this work until its boiler certificate expired. The hut at night contains a vertical steam boiler which appears to heat the fuel oil for locomotives coming from a fixed rail tank car.

Waste in Mine Valley

Photograph depicts large swath of dark waste down mountainside to right of valley. The waste dump is believed to be visible at top of swath on right of image. Bench mining visible on the North and South peak in background. Handwritten annotation on recto of photograph: "Oct. 25 / 65 4:25 PM."

George Street, Prince George, BC

Handwritten annotation on verso of photograph reads: "George St. Prince George BC Photo. S Wrathall". Prince George Hotel and Cafe stand on left side of street in foreground, and many other buildings and businesses can be seen. Vehicles line the street, cut banks visible in background. Photograph believed to have been taken while George Street was being prepared for a new lawyer of asphalt.

Campbell's All Cash Store, Prince George, BC

Street view photograph of a commercial section in downtown Prince George with several "Campbell's" delivery carts parked along the road. Visible establishments include "Campbell's All Cash Store" and "Club Cafe." Handwritten annotation in blue ballpoint pen on recto reads: "Howdy from Prince George! Going easy with all these kids- good to see Kathee. Snow here. Have fun at the sports show & don't over do it. Thinking of you guys, love Judy and Vic. P.S. Can't wait to go home to somewhere peaceful and quiet. 2-27-83." Postcard is addressed to: "Mr. & Mrs. Hauffer 8429-221 PL. Sn. Edmonds, WA. U.S. 98020." Verso is affixed with four Canadian 8-cent stamps.

Dr. Robin Fisher fonds

  • 2019.9
  • Fonds
  • 1992-2002

This fonds encompasses the academic and administrative career of esteemed Canadian historian Dr. Robin Fisher during his tenure at the University of Northern British Columbia. The records span Dr. Fisher's appointments at UNBC as professor, founding chair of the Department of History, Dean of Arts and Science, and Dean of the College of Arts, Social and Health Sciences.

Series include:

  1. Personal Records relating to Dr. Fisher's various appointments at UNBC
  2. Treaty Advisory records originating from Dr. Fisher's involvement in the Northern Interior Regional Advisory Committee and other treaty process advisory activities
  3. Teaching records relating to the development of Dr. Fisher's undergraduate and graduate courses, primarily in the Department of History
  4. Conferences & Service records relating to conferences attended or organized by Dr. Fisher, as well as activities given in service to the University or the community

Dr. Robin Fisher

Pacific Great Eastern Railway (PGE) Track Inspection with V-8 Vehicle

This clip of original film footage depicts Pacific Great Eastern Railway (PGE) track inspection with a V-8 vehicle.

Clip description with timing reference to scenes:

  • 0.01 The Fraser River above Marble Canyon near Moran
  • 0.22 At the Tunnel at mile 168.9 between Fountain and Glenfraser
  • 0.25 Scenes at Moran mile 181
  • 0.37 Inspecting the 2 tunnels at mile 186.5
  • 0.44 Water tank just north of Kelly Lake and south of the wye at Kelly Lake Mile Mile 191.5
  • 1.04 Wood Trestle at 51 mile creek Mile 206
  • 1.15 Lac La Hache station and section house in the background
  • 1.30 Williams Lake station
  • 1.43 Lone Butte Water tower
  • 1.46 The Lone Butte rock formation
  • 2.01 Alta Lake station right and Water tower in distance
  • 2.06 Outside the east side of the Squamish roundhouse. Track ahead of car leads to yard. Water tower to right
  • 2.15 A shot of the back side of the Squamish roundhouse looking south. 563 has had its trucks converted from 6 wheel to 4 wheel and is looking real clean. This must be late 1954. Steam locomotive 163 in final months of service and was cut up for scrap in July 1956
  • 2.20 Cheakamus
  • 2.24 Garibaldi Mile 59.5. Line to the left goes to the sawmill there
  • 2.27 Inspecting the bridge at mile 55.6 in the Cheakamus canyon. Looking south from the south end of the bridge. Telegraph wires in the right of clip
  • 2.31 Same bridge looking north
  • 2.37 Bridge at mile 56.5 in the Cheakamus Canyon
  • 2.42 Stopped at the water tank at the place called Watertank mile 62.5. Section house to the right of tracks.
  • 2.58 Heading north around Pinecrest Mile 64 or 65
  • 3.07 Stopped at the mill at Parkhurst around mile 80 on the east side of Green lake
  • 3.23 Watching a south bound train pass at Tisdall
  • 3.32 Diesel hauled train coming to Tisdall at the old location of the north switch. Locomotives still with their 6 wheel trucks so before 1954. Note locomotives spread out in the train so all the weight was not on small bridges at one time
  • 3.50 In the canyon north of Lillooet; man in brown suit and fedora is W.H. (Harry) Nichols
  • 3.58 Along Alta Lake
  • 4.12 Scenes along Anderson Lake north of Darcy
  • 4.35 Royal Engineers bridge at Lillooet
  • 4.42 GE diesel with either steam ditcher or steam crane just north of Lillooet
  • 4.47 General Store at Pavillion Mile 178.2
  • 4.52 Quesnel Station
  • 5.04 Unknown Location
  • 5.20 Gang working with tamping machine?
  • 5.31 Cottonwood River Bridge. New just before the line to Prince George opened in 1952. Also scenes around the Cottonwood River
  • 5.57 Ahbau Creek Bridge Mile 406.1 Prince George Subdivision. The last spike to complete the line to Prince George was driven at the north end of this bridge. Ahbau Creek was named after a local Chinese prospector and trapper
  • 6.16 At the CN Prince George shops near to where the Correctional Facility is today. CN Bridge across the Fraser River in distance
  • 6.37 Construction of the PGE crossing of the Fraser River at Prince George
  • 6.59 PGE middle yard at Prince George
  • 7.10 Heading back south to the main yard. CN Fraser River bridge in shot
  • 7.22 Marguerite station
  • 7.35 Hawks Creek or Deep Creek Bridge mile 329.9. One of the worlds highest railroad bridges at 312 feet high

Note: The miles in the notes are the current mileages. At the time of the filming the line to North Vancouver had not been completed. The mileages at that time would have read 40 miles less in the mile boards.

Arch-logging truck dragging a large load of logs uphill on a snowy road

Photograph depicts an Arch-logging truck dragging a large load of logs, uphill on a snowy road. Notes on envelope read: " Arch-logging truck, Barney Creek, Summit Lake east of Highway 97. Maximum negotiable grade1/2 % up to 3/4 % for short distances (100 yards)." The truck in this image is a 1962 Pacific model SUD-A serial number T6261-192, purchased by Church Sawmills of McGregor River, BC. The truck was delivered October 16, 1962 came equipped with a Cummins NH250 engine, 5 speed main transmission and 4 speed auxiliary with power tower (for running the winch on the arch).

Arch truck logging

Photograph depicts an Arch logging truck. The truck in this image is a 1962 Pacific model SUD-A serial number T6261-192, purchased by Church Sawmills of McGregor River, BC. The truck was delivered October 16, 1962 came equipped with a Cummins NH250 engine, 5 speed main transmission and 4 speed auxiliary with power tower (for running the winch on the arch).

Ship "Camosun"

Photograph depicts a steamship "Camosun" in water with mountains in the background. Possibly near Stewart B.C.

Résultats 1 à 50 sur 20875