Photograph depicts a 0-4-0 porter saddle tank located in a public park in Fernie. It has a 4' 8 1/2" gauge and 170lbs of pressure. It was probably used with the car behind it to feed the 70 coke ovens situated just above Fernie, on the south side of the C.P.R. tracks. The three trams to the rear are 3' gauge.
Photograph depicts the 0-4-4 "Dunrobin" locomotive in the B.C. Electric Railway locomotive shed in New Westminster. The front buffer beam has been removed, exposing 2 inside cylinders 13x18". Total weight = 25 1/4 tons. Working pressure = 150 lb./sq. inch. Coupled wheels= 4'6" diameter, bogie wheels = 2'6". It was built by Sharp, Stewart, & Co. Ltd. in 1895 at Atlas Works, Glasgow and formerly owned by the Duke of Sutherland. It was steamed for the first time in B.C. on Tuesday, 19th April 1966, and probably for the first time in 2 years.
Photograph depicts a 0-4-4 "Dunrobin" locomotive built by Sharp, Stewart, & Co. Ltd. in 1895 at Atlas Works, Glasgow and formerly owned by the Duke of Sutherland. It was taken inside the B.C. Electric Railway locomotive shed at New Westminster where it was receiving a check-over for steam running and a paint job. The cover to steam dome has been removed.
Photograph depicts a 0-6-0 diesel switcher locomotive, built by Hudswell Clarke & Co. in Leeds in 1949. It still bears the number when owned by Samuel Williams of Dagenham, Essex, U.K. It is located at the Pacific Coast Bulk Terminals on the North Shore, and 1 mile east of Lions Gate Bridge.
Photograph depicts an 1897 single shot English rifled gun. Mounted on a mine sweeper "HMCS Theipval," founded on an unchartered rock in Burkley Sound, Febraury 27, 1930. It was recovered in the late 1970s.
Photograph depicts 2-6-0 locomotive #1 in Blairmore, Alberta, approximately 15 miles east of the B.C. border. It is disused and inoperable. Built by the Canadian Locomotive Company #1245. There are no dates or ownership names, but it was possibly owned by West Canadian Collieries Ltd.
Photograph depicts 3-truck Shay locomotive #114 at the Vancouver Wharves Ltd. in North Vancouver. It was built in July 1928 as #3320. The ability of geared locomotives to exert maximum traction at low speeds was an asset when moving loaded grain cars to dockside elevators. The shay did this work until its boiler certificate expired. The hut at night contains a vertical steam boiler which appears to heat the fuel oil for locomotives coming from a fixed rail tank car.
Photograph depicts a 3-truck Shay locomotive #115 , Railway Appliance Company, Vancouver Wharves Ltd. in North Vancouver. It was built by Lima Locomotive Works Inc. in October 1929 as works #3344. The 11 and the 5 of 115 are different castings, and the holes in the plate suggest the locomotive was #11 before.
Photograph depicts an abandoned coal mine in Coal Creek, 5 miles east of Fernie, BCThe entrance to the mine is unusual and is 2/3rds up the mountainside. The mine was closed in 1959. Flat ground in foreground is littered with at least 100 mine tubs of approximately 3'0' gauge.
Photograph depicts an abandoned house in a semi-host town viallage that dated back to 1895-1900. It was coverd with hop flowers which was typical for most of the deserted homes in the area. Village had 20 buildings standings of which 12 were occupied.
Photograph depicts the Abbotsford CPR depot. It was built circa 1910-1914 and was the second depot built by the CPR in the town. It is at mile 6.7 on the the Huntingdon branch from Mission City. It was last used for passenger traffic in October 1959. It is No.5 standard design CPR depot.
Photograph taken at the Mudbay Light Aircraft Airfield in Delta. Visible is an advanced trainer called the "North American (Aviation Co.) Texan" that was of the USA and Harvard in Britain and Canada. Some were built in Canada during WWII.