Photograph depicts the Pacific Great Eastern Railway bridge on the original route at Lillooet, which was active 1915 to 1931. Including its approach spans, the bridge was 2,630 ft. long, almost exactly half a mile. The mileage on the PGE's original mileage system was 120.6.
Photograph depicts a Pacific Great Eastern Railway tunnel along Anderson Lake. The current railway mileage for the location is 125.6 (historical mileage point would have differed). The location is 3.7 miles north of D'Arcy, near the southern end of Anderson Lake. This photograph was likely taken from vantage point of the summer-only Highline Road.
Photograph depicts the "Ballena" docked at a wharf. The Ballena was a passenger ferry built in 1892 by the Albion Iron Works Company of Victoria and originally named the Joan. This ship was sold to the Terminal Steam Navigation Company in 1914 and renamed the Ballena. It was later acquired by the Union Steamship Company in 1920 but burned at the Union dock in November of that year.
This original film footage clip depicts the opening of the new Pacific Great Eastern Railway (PGE) car shop in Squamish with Premier Bennett circa 1970. Around 0:55, W.A.C Bennett is speaking with Eric Prince Stathers, the former Superintendent of Car Equipment at the Squamish shop.
This clip of original film footage depicts Pacific Great Eastern Railway (PGE) track inspection with a V-8 vehicle.
Clip description with timing reference to scenes:
0.01 The Fraser River above Marble Canyon near Moran
0.22 At the Tunnel at mile 168.9 between Fountain and Glenfraser
0.25 Scenes at Moran mile 181
0.37 Inspecting the 2 tunnels at mile 186.5
0.44 Water tank just north of Kelly Lake and south of the wye at Kelly Lake Mile Mile 191.5
1.04 Wood Trestle at 51 mile creek Mile 206
1.15 Lac La Hache station and section house in the background
1.30 Williams Lake station
1.43 Lone Butte Water tower
1.46 The Lone Butte rock formation
2.01 Alta Lake station right and Water tower in distance
2.06 Outside the east side of the Squamish roundhouse. Track ahead of car leads to yard. Water tower to right
2.15 A shot of the back side of the Squamish roundhouse looking south. 563 has had its trucks converted from 6 wheel to 4 wheel and is looking real clean. This must be late 1954. Steam locomotive 163 in final months of service and was cut up for scrap in July 1956
2.24 Garibaldi Mile 59.5. Line to the left goes to the sawmill there
2.27 Inspecting the bridge at mile 55.6 in the Cheakamus canyon. Looking south from the south end of the bridge. Telegraph wires in the right of clip
2.31 Same bridge looking north
2.37 Bridge at mile 56.5 in the Cheakamus Canyon
2.42 Stopped at the water tank at the place called Watertank mile 62.5. Section house to the right of tracks.
2.58 Heading north around Pinecrest Mile 64 or 65
3.07 Stopped at the mill at Parkhurst around mile 80 on the east side of Green lake
3.23 Watching a south bound train pass at Tisdall
3.32 Diesel hauled train coming to Tisdall at the old location of the north switch. Locomotives still with their 6 wheel trucks so before 1954. Note locomotives spread out in the train so all the weight was not on small bridges at one time
3.50 In the canyon north of Lillooet; man in brown suit and fedora is W.H. (Harry) Nichols
3.58 Along Alta Lake
4.12 Scenes along Anderson Lake north of Darcy
4.35 Royal Engineers bridge at Lillooet
4.42 GE diesel with either steam ditcher or steam crane just north of Lillooet
4.47 General Store at Pavillion Mile 178.2
4.52 Quesnel Station
5.04 Unknown Location
5.20 Gang working with tamping machine?
5.31 Cottonwood River Bridge. New just before the line to Prince George opened in 1952. Also scenes around the Cottonwood River
5.57 Ahbau Creek Bridge Mile 406.1 Prince George Subdivision. The last spike to complete the line to Prince George was driven at the north end of this bridge. Ahbau Creek was named after a local Chinese prospector and trapper
6.16 At the CN Prince George shops near to where the Correctional Facility is today. CN Bridge across the Fraser River in distance
6.37 Construction of the PGE crossing of the Fraser River at Prince George
6.59 PGE middle yard at Prince George
7.10 Heading back south to the main yard. CN Fraser River bridge in shot
7.22 Marguerite station
7.35 Hawks Creek or Deep Creek Bridge mile 329.9. One of the worlds highest railroad bridges at 312 feet high
Note: The miles in the notes are the current mileages. At the time of the filming the line to North Vancouver had not been completed. The mileages at that time would have read 40 miles less in the mile boards.
Postcard depicts Fraser River Canyon, BC"When travelling through this mighty scenic gorge, the highway often gets too narrow at points, and rock ledgeds required cutting tunnels in order to restore safety. This tunnel lies just north of Yale, BCIt handles traffic along the Trans-Canada Highway."
Postcard depicts a "massive 4-4-0 wood burning locomotive ready to enter the turn table from the round house. These CPR locomotives were in common use from 1886 until 1915, running from the Kootenays through the Fraser Canyon."
Postcard depicts Fraser Canyon, BC"The Saddle Rock view shows some of the rugged grandeur on the Canyon route between Hope and Lytton. It's muddy waters, at this time, gathered fourteen large and many small tributaries as it flows to the great Pacific."
Postcard depicts "Twin Bridges in the Fraser Canyon." The CPR and CNR changes sides at this point just a few miles south of Lytton below the Siska Market. One can see this spectacular view where trains change from oe side to another. During construction one briodge was for easier grading. In later year when the second railway was constructed, it [had] become a must to reverse the side of [the] river at this point."
Postcard depicts a reproduction of a photograph from 1880s/1890s. "The Canadian Pacific Railway (C.P.R.) was officially completed to the Pacific Coast in 1885 but upgrading was continually being carried out as seen here near Spence's bridge in 1905."