Photograph depicts Esquimalt & Nanaimo Railway trackage in Courtenay. In another 200 yards, it was the northerly point the railway ever reached. Both lines were not in use north of the Courtenay station. The line on the left was the main one, while the one on the right was an industrial spur or siding.
Photograph depicts the Sea Cadets Corps Amphion of Nanaimo marching in the 1970 Nanaimo May Day Parade near Comox Road. The Corps is doing a "Present Arms" and are in "Close March" formation. This is a salute, likely as they pass the parade review platform. The newly built Tally-Ho Lodge is in the background, suggesting that the Corps is marching south on Terminal Ave. at Comox Road intersection, having just crossed the Millstream Bridge. Terminal Ave. is also the official Trans-Canada Highway (1962-1971), which was still very new at this time.
Photograph depicts Pioneer Sash and Door Company Ltd. Davies suggests that it may have been the same as S.C. Smith Ltd., which commenced operating in Vernon in 1883. In the early days, products were verandah posters, balusters, and fancy trim. Most products were sent to the U.S. Most of the fancy trim in early north Okanagan homes came from this plant. In 1972, its main output was cedar panelling for Florida.
Photograph depicts the CPR depot at Proctor, located at mile 117.5 from Cranbrook on the Nelson Subdivision. David Davies notes: "The view is looking east and shows the spur at right leading to a barge slip on Kootenay Lake. The majority of the spur rails here are dated 1908-1910." An updated description provided by a subject expert suggests that this view is actually looking west.
Photograph depicts water car #415319 standing on a little used spur in Nelson. It consists of a locomotive tender mounted on a flat car. It could be used as a firefighting unit, but it is merely lettered "service."
Photograph depicts a typical section shed scene anywhere in B.C. It was taken on the C.P.R. track near Flat Creek or Illecillewaet, between Rogers Pass and Revelstoke. The April 25, 1965 CPR Employee timetable lists the mileage at Illecillewaet as 98.2.
Photograph depicts a C.P.R. eastbound freight train at passing loop at Illecillewaet, between Rogers Pass and Revelstoke. The April 25, 1965 CPR Employee timetable lists the mileage at Illecillewaet as 98.2 with a siding capacity of 85 cars. The view in this photograph is taken from a string of work cars on the siding.
Photograph depicts the C.P.R. westbound freight train at passing loop at Illecillewaet, between Rogers Pass and Revelstoke. The April 25, 1965 CPR Employee timetable lists the mileage at Illecillewaet as 98.2 with a siding capacity of 85 cars.
Photograph depicts a double-use bridge across the Fraser River at Hope, BCon the north side of the village. The upper deck carries road traffic and the lower deck the C.P.R. rail line leading to the Kettle Valley Line. View looking north.
Photograph depicts a reaction ferry over the Fraser River, located just north of Lytton. The east bank leads to the Lytton-Lillooet road, while the west bank is a dead-end road 20 miles long along the river shelf.
Photograph depicts the North Bend Ferry (Aerial Cage) at Boston Bar in the Fraser Canyon. The capacity of the aerial cage is 1 car or truck, or 40 passengers. Vehicle height clearance: 12 feet. Load-limit: 3 tons gross. Schedule: On call 24 hours. Rates: Car with driver, 25 cents; truck with driver, 50 cents; passenger, 5 cents.
Photograph depicts a double-use bridge across the Fraser River at Hope, BCon the north side of the village. The upper deck carries road traffic and the lower deck the C.P.R. rail line. View looking north.
Photograph depicts the bridge over the south Thompson River at Squilax where the road connects Squilax Village with a First Nations reservation on the north bank (photo background). The overhead truss in the center span was created to give clearance to paddle sternwheelers.
Photograph depicts a bridge on the Upper Clearwater Rd., 10 miles north of Clearwater. The town is 70 miles north of Kamloops. The road leads north (to left side of photo) to the entrance of Wells Gray Provincial Park.
Photograph depicts the bridge over the north Thompson River at Barriere, 40 miles north of Kamloops. View is looking towards the east bank. A new bridge is being built half a mile upstream and just awaiting decking.
Photograph depicts the rail connections below the north bank of the Patullo Bridge in New Westminster. The track in the foreground belongs to C.N. and the flyover foreground rail bridge belongs to the B.C. Electric Railway. The flyover background rail bridge is shared by the Great Northern Rail and C.N. Rail.
Photograph depicts the road bridge crossing over the Kootenay River at Fort Steele, 10 miles northwest of Cranbrook, looking downstream. Two piers of a new bridge can be seen behind the present one. The railway is from Golden to Fernie and built in approximately 1913.
Photograph depicts the Alexandra Bridge in the Fraser Canyon. It is closed to traffic but is possible to drive a vehicle across but the road is blocked on the east bank. The bridge is in good condition. Photo looks east.
Photograph depicts the Alexandra Bridge in the Fraser Canyon. The view is looking northeast and depicts the Fraser River running downstream to the right of the photo. There is First Nations salmon net pole in the bottom left-hand corner.
Photograph depicts an old wooden lifting span bridge (now rigid) over the east Thompson River at Pritchard, 25 miles east of Kamloops. View is looking northeast. The bridge was built for sternwheeler traffic.