Series consists of Shirvell’s records and collected material related to his activities as a research scientist, particularly his involvement in the Kemano Completion Project. Shirvell’s records are arranged into six subseries:
• literature review, consisting of published material;
• research and publications, consisting of Shirvell’s publications and research material;
• Envirocon and Alcan, consisting of Envirocon and Alcan publications and records;
• Nechako River court action, consisting of records related to the DFO-Alcan court case;
• Nechako Fisheries Conservation Program, consisting of material relating to NFCP; and,
• BCUC Kemano Completion Project Review, consisting of records relating to Shirvell’s participation in the public review.
The majority of the material in all subseries consists of copies of publications related to Shirvell’s activities and research, many of which were written or annotated by him, such as reprints of journal articles, draft scientific reports, government publications, and newspaper clippings. Shirvell’s research records comprise raw data, field notes, memoranda, and draft reports, many of which relate to his 1986 Nechako River salmon overwintering studies. Records regarding the Nechako River court action range from 1980 to 1987, and include correspondence, internal DFO memoranda, legal documents, and related scientific reports. Also includes significant material emanating from the British Columbia Utilities Commission Kemano Completion Project Public Review, such as correspondence, BCUC newsletters and news releases, exhibits and evidence submitted to the review panel, documents produced for the hearings, and the final report.